How to use Ciloxan Eye Drops
How you use Ciloxan eye drops will depend on what you’re taking them for. If you’re using Ciloxan for corneal ulcers:
- On day one, take two drops every 15 minutes for the first six hours, then two drops every 30 minutes after that;
- On day two, take two drops every hour;
- From day three to day 14, take two drops every four hours;
- You should keep using your eye drops during the night time. Your doctor will let you know if you need to continue treatment after 14 days.
For other eye infections, like bacterial conjunctivitis:
- Use one or two drops, four times a day;
- If the infection is severe, your dose for the first two days may be increased to one or two drops every two hours, as long as you’re awake.
If you want to know how to use Ciloxan eye drops, follow these simple steps:
- Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before you start;
- Remove the bottle cap;
- Hold the bottle so it’s pointing down, between your thumb and fingers;
- Tilt your head back and look directly upwards;
- Carefully pull down your lower eyelid with your finger to make a ‘pocket’ between your eyelid and eye – this is where the drop will go;
- Bring the tip of the bottle close to your eye – you can use a mirror if it helps. Make sure you don’t touch your eye or any surrounding areas with the dropper, as it could infect the drops;
- Gently press the base of the bottle to release a drop, one at a time. Don’t squeeze the bottle, you only need to press gently on the bottom;
- If necessary, repeat this in your other eye;
- If you don’t get a drop in your eye, try again. Once you’re done, replace the bottle cap firmly straight after you finish;
- Make sure to use Ciloxan for as long as your doctor advises, even if your symptoms clear up. Don’t use Ciloxan for more than 21 days, unless your clinician tells you to.
How long does it take Ciloxan Eye Drops to work?
How long you’ll use Ciloxan for depends on the infection you’re using it to treat. For most bacterial eye infections, you’ll usually take Ciloxan for a week or two. It’ll get to work as soon as you take your first dose, and you should notice your symptoms improve in just a couple of days. Some people may find their symptoms clear up completely after as little as three days, but it’s important to keep using Ciloxan for as long as your clinician has instructed you to.
What should I do if I make a mistake using Ciloxan Eye Drops?
You should only use Ciloxan eye drops as you’re instructed to by your clinician. If you forget to take a dose of Ciloxan, it’s not an issue – just take your next dose when it’s due. Don’t take a double dose to make up for having missed one.
If you use more Ciloxan than you should, it’s unlikely to cause any adverse effects. Simply wash the excess out of your eye with lukewarm water. Likewise, accidentally swallowing some of this medicine shouldn’t cause any serious issues, but you should contact your doctor if you ingest any, just in case.
How we source info.
When we present you with stats, data, opinion or a consensus, we’ll tell you where this came from. And we’ll only present data as clinically reliable if it’s come from a reputable source, such as a state or government-funded health body, a peer-reviewed medical journal, or a recognised analytics or data body. Read more in our editorial policy.